Terms you could use to talk about this season include inconsistency, heart breakers, roller coaster, disappointing, and fun. Now I know most people won't agree with the last one. This season still was a lot of fun especially considering we lost five games in the Spectrum this year. I'm a junior and had only seen us lose once before at home in the seasons I've been here. Our youth showed at the beginning of the year especially with losses to such teams as Pacific and Texas A&M Corpus Cristi. The saddest thing was at those point in times a fan base that was so used to winning was grumbling about how only one post season victory in Stew Morrill's tenure at Utah State had caused a lack of good recruits and were complaining about the losses we had suffered. I used the word disappointing in my description of the season because of how disappointing the fans were this year. The Spectrum was never filled the second half of the season. We looked like a school of fair weather fans to me. The magic was gone (I know the blunder by the school really killed it http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16881 ). Now there are plenty of excuses out there but the haunting thing about this year was the empty seats I saw in big games. We had three almost season changing road wins: Wichita State, Miss St., and Nevada but came up short each time.
Why was this season still fun for me tho? I still got to see us beat BYU, Keysian Reed can dunk, Medlin can have some ridiculous games, and my ears hurt a lot in the CIT championship game.
I have been only able to attend one practice so far this year but I noticed a few things:
- Jeff Manning while fresh off the mission has a great arm and will solidify us in the QB position. You can tell hes fresh off the mission and his footwork in the pocket didn't look great but his throwing motion was good
- Chuckie Keeton looked good but I never noticed the wind up in this throwing motion. I love him but that kind of scares me. It just projects the ball so much
- Kennedy looked good and looks like he will be able to play like he did last year.
- The special teams looked alright. It was their first real practice so its understandable that they weren't great. There was one really bad field goal and some punts looked terrible and some looked absolutely beautiful.
- Also I love Chuck Jacobs, I think were going to to see him get a lot more receptions this year.
- The running backs looked great in what appeared to be a variation of the Oklahoma drill.